Thursday, June 3, 2010

Rio - Brazil -Bonfire Festival -June





This is a New World twist on an old European tradition. In Mediterranean countries, the Fiesta de San Juan (Saint John) falls on the summer solstice, and is celebrated with bonfires. The party city of Rio extends this June festival to include Saint Anthony and Saint Peter as well. On three separate evenings, in private homes and clubs right across Rio, in the streets, squares and public places, stalls are set out to resemble village market places and are decorated with streamers and lanterns. Against the glow of bonfires there is much dancing, eating and drinking. In mock weddings, couples follow the old tradition of leaping the flames. All this takes place against a fairly continuous crackle and flash of fireworks.



“Festas Juninas” are as popular as Carnival. It should be noted that, like for Carnival, these festivities involve costume-wearing (in this case, peasant costumes), dancing, drinking, and visual spectacles (fireworks display and folk dancing). Like the original European Midsummer celebrations, during the two-week June festivities in Brazil, bonfires are lit. They can be seen everywhere in Brazil.

3 comments:

  1. Ops, I've sent a comment before this one but it seems desapeared in the air...

    I'm telling you that I've just reading your previous posts about the Andalousian festivities. I like them very much (the photos too, of course, very nice), but I hope your readers don´t think that Andalousians don`t work at all ha ha :-) We work so much, it`s why we must rest very much :-D

    I`m always so glad to come back to your blog.
    Hugs!

    (Sorry for my bad English, as always :-) I don't like to use the awful Google translator, I think it translate still worst than I ha ha ha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ana,
    I am so glad that you liked the post about Andalousian festivities. :)
    You think you have bad English?? naaa I would read you in any language Ana. :) I so much enjoy your prospective always wheather it is writing or drawing. I actually have a piece of your art on my desktop. Thank You for it !:)
    HUgs,
    Carl

    ReplyDelete

Thank You For Reading
Carl